Friday, July 31, 2009

Keep the change ya filthy animal...

Russ here. I have a few thoughts and I would love to share them with you; I hope that's okay with Dixi. I do not like change one bit. I mean none. I have been eating the same thing at every restaurant I go to since I can remember. I have had the same haircut since 8th grade. I tell myself that I am okay with leaving Rome one day, but secretly I am okay with staying here the rest of my life. I mean seriously, I don't like change. But here's the problem with that: I am about to become a father. Some people have even told me that being a parent will require me to make small changes to my lifestyle (yeah, who knew?). This originally scared/worried/freaked me out. I wanted to convince myself that somehow I could be a loving, caring, responsible parent and continue the same lifestyle I have always lived. But reality is quickly catching up to me. Things have got to change, and change soon.


See, I wasn't lying...


I hope no one expected me to say that since the realization of the inevitable changes that need to take place, I have become a responsible, early to bed, early to rise, regularly showering, tie-wearing adult. Well sorry to disappoint, but I'm a slow learner. After getting married and moving into my own house (Really? I am a homeowner? I'm just getting good at tying my shoes and they want me to take care of a house?), I guess I expected/wanted everything to be like I had it growing up, once again going back to the fact that I hate change. But to my initial, selfish disappointment, I don't get to watch every single Braves game, dinner may not always be on the table the second I get hungry, and dishes don't magically clean themselves like they did the first 24 years of my life. The day I moved in, I guess this place didn't immediately become "my home". But all that said, this home, this crazy dog, and most importantly, this family of mine; they are hopefully what my daughter will look back on someday and say, "I loved the way mom made me french toast in the morning", or "I hope I have a dog that is as much fun as Storm was". I am slowly but surely beginning to realize that, even though there are still a few things that I'm going to have to get used to, I couldn't imagine anything in my life being any better than it is right now. My wife gladly lets me watch the Braves and cheers with me. She made this house beautiful. She is smokin' hot. Why would I change any of that?

This is my family. This is my home. I love them. Thank you Dixi, for not hating me for hating change. Thank you for watching the Braves with me almost every time they come on. Thank you for brewing sweet tea (I love it, by the way). You and Caedmon are my family now. And for once, I'll gladly keep the change.



Goes down smooth...


On a lighter, more adorable note, I want to give you all the pleasure of having your "awww" moment for the day. I present to you, my nephew Malachi:



Also, I'm sure Dixi would be okay with me showing off our new stroller. It's awesome. We took a walk with it and pretended like Caedmon was in it.


Dog butt not included.

Last but not least, one of my favorite changes. I haven't had a rubber ducky in my bathroom in a long, long time.

I can't wait for you to be here...

2 comments:

allie said...

It's so awesome reading this, Russ. I think many feel the same way, but are too stubborn to admit it. I'm just glad you're taking daily showers... I remember how you used to stink... especially in that photo. Shooey.

Caedmon is so lucky, you and Dixi are going to be amazing parents.

Jeri Maxedon said...

you're going to be a great daddy, Russ! little miss Caedmon just doesn't know how lucky she is! (just be sure to give her daily baths, too...lol)